Sunday, October 16, 2011

Turtle Cove Sanctuary Part 2

Looking back up the coastline, you can see the contrasting rocks to the sandy beaches.  In the distance you can see a small building right on the waters edge.  That was the shop/bistro.  Believe it or not it was much easier to get hot chips than it was to get a fruit salad.  Actually the fruit salad was interesting in that it came in a cup and the fruit was floating in a juice.  I guess it also doubled as a drink!

Vanuatu is known for it's coconut crabs, and apparently they can grow to have legs around a metre long.  Check out how attractive these fellows are, and how you would definately be 'legging' it if one a metre long was coming to say hello.  I did manage to try one of these at the seafood buffet a few nights later.  I am not a big crab fan in general, but it was edible.

Carl waited around for us, talking to the other driver's and when I popped over to see him, he insisted that we take the opportunity for a swim, prior to us departing.  So I produced an ice cold coke, and we chatted before hand.

As you can see the view from the lunch area was great.  We headed down to the beach and some Brisbane travelling friends shared their snorkelling gear.  At least by this stage in the holiday we do now have towels!


Enroute back to the resort, we were driving on a gravel road.  I noticed that the sides of the road were sporting manicured lawns, and then we were suddenly driving around a large, sealed round-a-bout.  It turns out five years ago this area was a large resort, to which it has been completely let go.  There is now a big subdivision theme happening at various locations.

Back at the resort, and young Tommy from Sydney is waiting for us to return.  There was even two Mummy's chaperoning milkshakes.  It turns out at 6 there is much admiration for the person who completely inhales their milkshake first.  Regretably this is Tommy's last day.

With exhaustion nearing we decided to get room service tonight for dinner, complete with low fat mud cake, which we shared together.  I am also persisting with having my tea and coffee without sugar, and even starting to get used to the creamer (powdered milk).  Although given the food we have eaten, I think a few calories saved on my tea is the least of my worries.

Maddison is a trooper and determined not to go to sleep before me, and it is 8.50 pm, so this will end today's post.

No comments: