Our holiday plans had had more than a few speed bumps on the original plans, but despite our hesitation at international travel with just the two of us, that is how we ended up. Determined to make the best of things despite our trepidation, we headed off on our first overseas journey as a family.
Some of the first things that hit you when you arrive in Vanuatu are the heat, they drive on the wrong side of the road, the smell of diesel, and the lack of traffic lights, speeds signs. Of course there was a smile when the small one questions "MUM, Why are all the people brown skinned?" Well this is going to be an entertaining journey for the two of us!
The Le Lagoon Resort was indeed a nice place to stay, the facilities and staff were great. However, there cooking leaves a lot to be desired! The Asian buffet on night one was awful, but thankfully the dessert bar made amends. I had not actually thought about how I was going to feed the child who hates everything when travelling in another country, but like most things this week, we made it up as we went along. Prawns are usually on the good list, so I thought a rice paper roll may at least partially make it's way inside, but after a fairly good surgical dissection, there was announcement to the contrary!
Then there were shrieks of delight, and horror from the mother. Yes, a grouping of stray cats were in the dining hall. Maddison announces that she would like to take one back home with us, and at the same time I keep repeating "DON'T TOUCH THEM!"
There is only a hour time difference to home, so I unpacked the trusty iPad, found a WIFI spot and purchased $10AUD worth of Internet time. Despite the heckling from the queen size bed beside mine, I set about trying to put together an itinerary of activities to prepare for the week long solo entertaining I was about to embark on. First stop was the Lonely Planet which lists out 93 things to do in Port Villa. It is only a week, so I shall send out some emails and then hit the lights out, to at least encourage the native beside me to sleep.


No comments:
Post a Comment