Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eton Village Soccer Field?

We continued on from the kindergarten over to the village meeting area.  As we gazed out from the shelter you could see the village soccer field.  Clearly an excellent pitch, and an ideal location to have some morning tea. 

Now Carl had gone to some effort for the pair of us, hunting and gathering some fresh coconuts for us to drink and some paw paw to eat.  By this stage in the journey, anything that was healthy was a fantastic sight to see. 

As I am trying to down the paw paw the youngster starts giggling from behind me.  Carl is looking quizzically, and then Maddison announces "Mummy hates paw paw!" 
I was in fact trying to be polite to the fellow, but there were giggles all round.  Just to prove a point, I ate a couple of more pieces.

We then continued to drive out through the village, looking at the dwellings.  There was no power in the village, and you could clearly see what we would refer to as poverty.  Although in reality it feels more like simplicity, unchained from the materialistic approach of the western world. 

In Port Villa there are mobile phones everywhere, and visual signs polluting the landscape, deals of a text for 4VT, and Carl himself has a mobile.  His vehicle is also adorned with All Black stickers, and he confirmed that he is a big fan.  I asked him about watching the matches, and he quickly hooked into the conversation and then looked sheepish when I stated that it must be difficult to do that with out power in the village.  There were small moments like this throughout our journey.  Mostly I contemplated that things were not as they seemed.  With tourism a big part of the economy, I wondered if portrayal was more the intention rather than reality.

No comments: