Sunday, October 16, 2011

Meles Cascades

On the breakfast menu this morning was raspberries!  Now we grow them at home and are BIG fans of the raspberries, so we grabbed a plate full.  Regrettably I did not get a picture, so I have sourced one from somewhere else to show you.  The Vanuatu raspberry has a different texture, and did not taste as good as the ones in our backyard!
http://sarah-cooks.blogspot.com/2009/11/vanuatu-port-vila-market.html

We jumped in the tour bus this morning for a short drive out of town.  A short hike around 30 minutes, through the rain forest.  It was an easy walk, although there was a steep set of stairs that managed to get your heart racing.


You hike alongside the stream, with glimpses of a series of waterfalls gently running beside you.


There are a couple of areas where you have to cross the water, and the rocks underneath are quite slippery, some of the rocks have had steps carved into them, and there is a rope across the water to hang on to.

The final landing area starts to build anticipation for the falls above.  The water is louder and coming down at a faster rate.



It is particularly interesting that this spot did not make it to the top 93 things to do in Vanuatu, as it was truly spectacular.  We managed to get right up to the top rock pool, and Maddy actually stood out under the main water that was plummeting down.

I don't have a waterproof camera, so I can't show you the top part of the falls.  At this stage in our journey we have several hundred shots on the camera, and they are memories I cannot get back, so safety with the camera is the primary concern.


As you look at the shot above, picture us coming back down from right up the top.  Yes that is right as an added workout, I get to piggy back the child all the way down!  By the time we reached the start of the hike, my sugar levels had dropped to zero and I had the shakes.  We were greeted by a plate of grapefruit and paw paw, which the pair of us gobbled down in a second.  The grapefruit looked like a lemon in colour and texture, but was sweet like an orange and just delicious.

No comments: