Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 8

Actually, I think I have created a day or maybe it just feels like it!  The cyclone due date has passed, and although it did not hit Nadi, the winds last night could have picked up the whole resort and flew it to Kansas.  If that was the velocity away from the cyclone, I cannot imagine what it was like near it.

The sky is showing patches of blue, and there are sounds of jet engines in the distance.  Today is also the day of our scheduled departure.  We arrive at the airport with plenty of time, to ensure that we are close as possible to the start of the queue when they start the check in line.

Plenty of time for duty free shopping, as this is almost the first opportunity to shop!  Maddy was gifted a turtle from our hosts, with the promise that next time we come over we can go visit the real turtles.  Hmm, could be the moment, but I am sooo not interested in tropical island holidays for a time to come.

After waiting what feels like an eternity, there is a small ball of dread growing in the pit of the stomach.  The inward plane is late, and the weather is growing darker.  After a 45 minute delay the heavens open up.  I am almost convinced that we will not be able to fly out in this weather.  Despite my negative thoughts, we were bundled through the gates and onto the plane.

I was so thankful to see the Brisbane airport and the beaming smile from my sister as she welcomed us home.  We were lucky, many were not as fortunate as us.  Our thoughts are with the residents, and we have answered the call for help with some clothing donations from home to be sent over.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/tourists-flee-in-frantic-scenes-as-devastating-floods-hit-fiji-20120402-1w73h.html

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/tourists-flee-in-frantic-scenes-as-devastating-floods-hit-fiji-20120402-1w73h.html

No comments: