Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mum, Where Did You Put it?

After swimming this week I was blammed for not putting goggles in the swim bag, even though I had asked for the bag to be packed that morning, by the little one.  On Saturday morning I passed her study desk, only to see that our weekly homework book that has to be handed in each Friday is still sitting on the desk!  Right, this requires a plan of action.


So I headed out this morning to find a storage unit to suit the five days of the school week.  As it turns out you can get some 5 shelf options for $200, or you can take four extra holes and pay just $60.  We then took advantage of some very cool box inserts which will greatly assist with being able to pick up the piles that seem to gather around the living area.  Double win!


I am a dab hand at flat pack furniture given that the relatives adore Ikea, but not self assembly.  After a short time I had finished the construction piece.  Maddison was then in charge of drawer assembly and insertion.  We then jointly made the activity timetable, and decorated to remind the little on learning to read of each activity to be undertaken on that day.


Then to start the new weekend chore of assembling the next weeks clothes and gear for each day.  This way Mum only has to check once a week that things are on track, and when each item is finished with, it can go back in the corresponding day it will be next needed.  This will also stop the swim bag being dropped in the laundry, school bag in the living area, and a raft of school clothes hanging in preparation in the lounge room!




Earlier in the week I sent an email to the year 1 teacher to check in on the progress of the youngster. "Maddison is progressing well and is starting to have conversations with me which is good to see. She has been very shy and uneasy about her family presentation and has refused to present. She has said that she doesn't want anyone to ask her any questions at the end of the presentation which is what we usually do. I have assured her that we don't have to have question time at the end. " Good to see that we have overcome the six months of ignoring the teacher in prep, and moved into 5 weeks for year 1!  Also good to see that the art of negotiation remains strong at school, and we can simply negotiate out the question time. 


We did talk at home about what deal we could come up with that would encourage Maddison to present.  A toy swap, one old one out and a trip to the shopping centre to pick out a new one.  Thursday was the scheduled day to present.  I had a late meeting Thursday night, so on Friday morning as I was in the shower, the pint sized one raced in an yelled "I couldn't do it, I was TOO SCARED".  Friday night at pick up she raced out and announced that the presentation was done, and that she was ready for shopping the following morning.  So what toy does a six year old girl want.....in the photo above on the shelf, that's right a baby dinosaur that screeches...awesome :-) 

No comments: