Sunday, February 5, 2012

Building Confidence

Our academic improvement program also has some personal development goals.  The child is shy, well only outside the family.  Inside, well we patiently listen to the endless questions, and they are relentless.  Quite funny really, I am more of the strong silent type, and this kid should end up in a profession that gets paid by the word, and she will be a millionaire.  Actually with those negotiating skills, potentially a lawyer would be a good career choice.

I myself was more athletic as a child, but this one appears to be more creative, although does show great athletic potential, but regrettably not the desire to be athletic.  I am patiently watching from afar, hoping that something takes her interest.

In an effort to get her socialising more, we went along to our first Brownies session at the local Girl Guide Hall.  If I skip back into the memory banks, I can see this image etched in horror.  After being ejected from the local Sunday School, I was banished to Brownies to repent my evil ways!  Oh how my Mother must have enjoyed this moment :-)


Thankfully for my child, the uniforms have changed considerably over the past 30 something years.  I knew that I would have to stay for the session, but not all parents were as thoughtful as I was.  I watched in horror as a young girl struggled with tears and quickly withdrew from interacting with others.  She tugged at my heart strings, and I did try a couple of times to talk with her.

I understand that the coordinators are volunteers, but I would have to say that our Brownie experience was AWFUL.  I could barely make it through the 2 hour session, and it was so bad that sending my poor child to endure another episode is not something I could force her to do.  I think that it really highlighted to me that people should follow their passions, if you are not super passionate about working with kids, then you shouldn't do it.  I did have a few ideas myself about improvements, but really I do not have the time or inclination to be donating, so it is back to the drawing board of possibilities.  I do have a brochure for Tae Kwon Do on the board, but that will have to wait until I feel a whole lot better health wise, and maybe for Maddison to be a little older.

No comments: