Friday, November 30, 2012

Delhi

Our trip into Dehli we decided to ditch the luxury of the BMW and take a more local version of traffic as we wanted to attempt to fit it. The Indian culture supports animal preservation, and there are animals roaming everywhere. An elephant down the freeway, water buffalos and cows meandering down the roads, pigs in the car park at work and feral cats and dogs as far as the eye can see. Feeding the pidgeons in the middle of the traffic was a slightly novel concept.


As I was taking this photo, I glanced back into the taxi, I heard a nasty thud. Yes, our local driver had just plowed into a group of children who had run into the traffic. Two small kids went down. The really concerning thing is that if it had not been for the four Australians gasping in horror, I doubt that the driver would have even stopped.


After some discussion one of our companions gave the kids some local currency.  To which the rest of the kids started slapping each other on the back.  It was a hard decision, did we encourage them to risk their future safety in the hope that the visitors would repay them with cash, or was it a form of compensation, because in reality they were unlikely to be going to the hospital for a check up.

No comments: