Saturday, October 20, 2012

Where is the balance?

http://www.brainline.org/content/2012/06/balance-
problems-after-traumatic-brain-injury_pageall.html
With a sudden resignation of a peer in the past few weeks, I have had to undertake two roles at the same time.  Normally this would be fine, but when you are planning the second phase go live of a multi million dollar, high profile project and also kicking the first phase into production with senior management changing the delivery goal posts....well it has been a tricky balancing act. 

As cool as it is to list on your resume that you manage international teams, the time zone difference is a killer.  I can finish the day in the office, but the Indian team is only half way through their work day.  So by the time I am home and finished dinner, the workload has just piled up again.

As with balance, when you move focus to one area, it has to come from another area.  So this morning we have cranked up an ABBA CD and I have ironed part way through a never ending pile, and the child has danced around with very little coordination, seemingly an inherited trait!  The good news is that we have moved on in the alphabetical music collection and are now listening to Anastasia instead.

It has been a grounding experience to have some quality time at home, and not buried in the frantic pace of corporate life, trying to find some mental stillness to recover.  After all I know the physical boundaries are unforgiving when I push too hard.  I can feel the AS lingering around below, not very happy with the current situation.

No comments: