Sunday, October 7, 2012

Speech Delivered

http://www.co2partners.com/blog/2012/03/what-do-you
-get-when-you-mix-a-celebration-with-a-meeting/
The dreaded day to present has finally passed, and I survived!  Being the last speaker on the first day, and standing in the path of the bar was more than a little daunting. 

The afternoon before I was leaving the office early to go and put the finishing touches on, and well thought I may actually practice.  My boss was kind enough to offer for me to practice with him, but it wasn't something I really wanted to do.  The idea had been pitched to the committee and approved, and the slide deck of images had already been submitted.  But really, I didn't want him to shake the confidence levels before the event.  Earlier in the week the business coach had reminded me about introversion. Find space before and after, and centre yourself. 

I did remember the bosses advice that tone and pace are the key.  So the following morning after little sleep,  I did record myself on the iPhone, and then listened to myself in surround sound for the hour plus drive.  It didn't help me remember the words, but it did provide the pace to perfection.

My close work mates were sitting at the front table, and they actually heckled on my walk up, thanks guys, very supportive!  My co-presenter was shaking so bad that I was worried that I would have to dive off the stage to grab the palm cards!  And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, smile, the speeches are being recorded!

After the ordeal was over, I had many people come up and congratulate me on the speech.  I had a few people say that they have written down some of my quotes, and one guy asked if he could have the summary ending palm cards.  But the real reason was to improve the business profile, and I had many senior managers come and have a discussion with me, and it was also mentioned at the CEO's leadership meeting the following week.  One of the senior managers told the entire forum that it was the highlight of the conference for him.  And we have scheduled lunch next week :-).

I also took the time to reward myself, and I bought a new work shirt.  I know that doesn't sound very exciting, but work shirts are kind of like another person's shoe obsession.

No comments: