As I progress through tidying up some of those loose end projects, I had a moment of thinking that I was sure I had done this before. After scouring back through the blog I found this post http://kinkou-balance.blogspot.com/2010/08/next-landscaping-project.html, dated August 2010. Wow, how time has flown since weeding that patch before!
Somewhere mid 2011 I had some rocks delivered to finish off the courtyard project. I should have learnt from the last batch of rocks, that having them dumped on the lawn is not such a good idea. You then spend an eternity picking them up. After finishing the courtyard, I had rocks left over. Each time I have to mow around them I am reminded that I have to go and find a place for them. That usually results in me finding a place, then having to do a stack of prep work, and then running out of time or energy to be able to complete the job.
Yesterday was a recovery day at home, so I pottered around, then remembering the sale at the local nursery. When you have an acre to landscaping, sales are a good idea! I now know how I end up with lots of unfinished projects. In order to move the rocks, I had to order soil to build the garden, and mulch to top the soil. But to take advantage of the delivery fee, I need to order several metres of landscaping materials!
The temperature yesterday was great for gardening, but today we are 32 degrees and counting. So it looks like some time in the pool rather than working in the garden. The rock pile is way smaller, but I have a soil and mulch pile instead! I am also determined not to have to go back and undertake that weeding job from the August 2010 post, although I did have a stack of it to do yesterday. You know things are big when the fork breaks under the resistance of the weed roots!
At the half way mark and things are looking good from the completed half. The pineapple is still cute as a button, and when we finally lop it off to eat, we can have a second top to plant. Lucky that our garden has many varieties that are able to have off shoots replanted, as it certainly keeps down the costs of materials.
And the remaining half has smaller weeds to pull. At least I have almost completed the demolition of the vegetable garden. This needs to be relocated due to the frangipani tree growth, and to make way for the revision to the pool fence later on in the year.
2 comments:
Will the pineapple hold out for my July visit?
Well I had to go off an google the answer to that question;
Harvesting your pineapple
When your fruit is about six months old, about four months after flowering has occurred, changes begin to occur. The color of the shell changes from green to rich gold. The color change of the shell occurs first at the bottom of the fruit and moves upwards. During this change, the fruit becomes sweeter and the color of the flesh changes from white to yellow. The fruit will weigh from two to four pounds.
When the fruit is golden half way up it can be picked and eaten. You can wait longer if you wish.
I am not really sure when the little darling popped out, but just maybe it will be still growing in July!
Post a Comment