Regardless of the cost, it has been great to see the introduction of bubble blowing to address escalations of emotions, and for Maddy to understand the scale of emotions (emotions generally are not my strong point, and I often say I only have 'a feeling' not feelings!). She has also learned about her worry monster, the little devil that sits on her shoulder providing some negative running commentary. So now we have a plan of attack to train that worry monster. The psychologist and child have quickly bonded, and all other sessions they do together whilst I wait outside, contemplating what they may actually be talking about :-)
Despite the progression on all fronts from strategies at home and talking to the psychologist, we are still working through how it is possible to get off the starting blocks at the 100m sprint for the athletic carnival, and how to actually get up and receive the student of the week award at the school assembly. As a parent who excelled in academic and sporting ability, this phase has been particularly challenging to deal with.
No comments:
Post a Comment