Friday, May 4, 2012

Bound for Disaster

We were recently invited to a friend's 7th birthday...a rollerskating birthday!  I had some vague thought of standing on the side line, a coffee in hand, chatting to other parents.  I am not sure what happened, but I was dragged along on the journey.

I bought a pair of blades about a decade ago, and they are in pristine condition, in the cupboard.  I never really got the hang of them.  We going was OK, but stopping was never mastered as a concept.  In truth, I am really surprised that I never broke something!

The feeling started coming back, as soon as those little wheels hit the rink.  For the child the rollerskating concept resembled something similar to a windmill.  Those little arms were waving around, desperately trying to find some sort of balance.  After many laps of holding on to the side, she did manage to find some blind courage, venturing out into the middle. 

Unfortunately there was a moment and down she went.  For Mum coming along behind there was no time to do much than crash along side.  I did manage to crawl from the centre of the rink over to the side, and then lay in a fetal position for several minutes, not really understanding which bit hurt the most!  Some kind Father tried to assist and he did appear to be convinced of my "I'm fine".  Or maybe he was just thinking I was way heavier than a 7 year old to pick up!

I did try to snap some pictures, but really it was hard enough to stay upright, that alone take a picture at the same time.  Needless to say there were a stack of ice packs out on the day.  With some bruises evident the next day, and well other ones I couldn't even bear to look for.

No comments: