Sunday, December 18, 2011

Busy Weekend

Once upon a time there was a lovely semi circle hedge which spanned both sides of the drive way.  Here is one part of it, freshly planted on day one.  Looks wonderful, trouble was that no man, woman or tradie could drive in, or reverse out without driving off the driveway and into the garden!  After almost a decade of re-setting the edging blocks, enough was enough.  I took the BMW, tied a rope to the tow bar and proceeded to rip out all the hedge.

Then there was all the very expensive pavers left over in a big pile.  After some contemplation, I decided to build a new garden beside the fence.  So on Saturday afternoon it looked like this;

2m of garden soil and 1 m of fragrant tea tree mulch, oh  and many hours of back breaking effort, well it looks a little different.  Of course it would have been much easy to just move the soil, if I had not had to pull out all the weeds and grass before hand!  My close living relatives were no where to be seen, dashing frantically out of the yard when they heard the beep beep of the truck reversing in!  I did manage to pick up one helper;
Little Maddy wandered around for a fair while helping me out, until some flying insect buzzed past, then she rang shrieking from the mulch, with huge tears!  After a few hours work this morning, we headed out to lunch and managed to squeeze in a Baskin and Robbins ice cream. We also spent some time looking for plants at the nursery on the way home.  Not long later, I was left by myself to continue, as the small one dashed down to the play station at her Aunt's.

Thankfully, my turn for family dinner and I whipped up my Cherry and white chocolate semifreddo last night.  Of course tonight, I can barely type.  I must have shovelled for all eternity, the equivalent of 900 squats and lunges, and maybe 1800 shoulder presses, I also can no longer feel my feet!

Over the Christmas holidays I will stealth around the garden looking for plants to transplant from existing plants to fill in some of the gaps. 

1 comment:

Wanderlust said...

once again you prove yourself inexhaustable!