Many years ago we planted the top off one of the pineapple's that we had purchased from the supermarket. It was one of our little family projects. Over the past few years the plant has grown, and we transplanted from the pot, into the garden.
As I walked by I caught a glimpse of something different in the garden. I paused for a moment, and then it dawned on me, our little plant is all grown up with a pineapple of her own! It was with great delight that the pair of us gazed out our new addition.
As someone who didn't grow up in a tropical climate, my first recognition of a pineapple growing on a plant was a bit of a surprise. We then sat down and inspected the little pineapple and had a discussion about the plant, fruit and when a brother or sister will arrive to play with the current pineapple. This is another great example of inexpensive activities that span years, offering moments of conversation and education. Another moment of pure enjoyment for simplistic parenting.

No comments:
Post a Comment