Friday, January 3, 2014

Languages of Love

I haven't actually read the book, but I have taken the online survey a couple times over a few years.  Surprisingly, my outcomes have changed.  I used to be an Acts of Service kind of gal, but it appears I have moved into Quality Time. 

I suspect this is more about where I am now in life.  A few years ago I was struggling to balance returning to the workforce in a rather demanding role with a very young child.  Things often felt out of control, and any assistance was greatly appreciated.

These days the youngster is more independent, and I have some time to think about life with greater perspective.  In the quiet moments of contemplation after an epic failure on a serious relationship, I have been sifting through the thoughts around what I want in a relationship.  A question I hadn't been able to answer for the past 19 months.  Sometime ago I posted about my response to 'how to impress me', and I think that there is still something there. 

I want to share a life with a partner who is present.  Now that doesn't mean that I need constant full and undivided attention!  I actually think I am a fairly low maintenance person, and my inner circle of friends would vouch for that.  But I have gone through a couple of major life altering moments in life, ones that leave you with permanent scars etched into your emotional memories, and ones that will take time, patience and gentle loving support to repair. 



I am not renowned for being a big talker, yet I do want to have deeper conversations.  I have very fond moments of many of my close friends who have constantly spurred on my intellectual development through thought provoking conversations. 

In a partner, I seek to know them and understand them, otherwise how on earth can I be a pillar of support?  I want a relationship that continues to evolve, grow and deepen.  One with commitment, one that you can have a disagreement, yet still know that the other is there and that you are both prepared to work together to solve problems, no matter what....'to work to work it out'.



As a person who owns a 65 year plan, I want to have shared goals.  I want for us and our family to be working towards things together.  In accomplishing things together, it strengthens relationships and provides opportunities to celebrate achievements together.

No comments: